Friday, February 17, 2006

Movie Ads

Just saw Curious George (Yes, I did bring my designated three-year-old to fend off potential problems with the law). There has been a lot of talk about the ads in the movie. For some reason the fruit company one bothered me a lot, but the German car maker one didn't. Not sure why. (I refuse to put their names in here - if they want to pay to be featured in the movie, they can pay to be mentioned here.) Perhaps because the fruit company one was featured on a bunch of tipped over banana boxes, each of which seemingly fell in such a way that the huge fruit company logo oneach box was upturned so you got a hundred views of D-- whoops, I mean fruit company logos.

As far as the German car company, The Man With The Yellow Hat borrowed a car made by that particular company and drove it around a couple of times. Since that logo was just on the car - like you'd see on any other car - that didn't seem quite as gratuitious. It wasn't like he went out of his way to say "Hey, let's jump in my borrowed V-- er, I mean German car/truck thing!" it just seemed more natural.

What really bothered me, and has for quite some time, are non-movie related commercials in front of the movie. Everyone wants to see previews - I do NOT want to see some idiots dancing around because they are drinking P-- er, I mean a leading soft drink brand. There was one guy dancing like a fool, and then across the busy street there was another woman dancing like a fool, drinking away. They danced, and they danced some more, until finally they met in the middle of the street and danced together atop a cab.

Unfortunately, for some reason the traffic that was buzzing along at a good clip only seconds before had ground to a halt. I was hoping the traffic would still be speeding along and they would have ended up dancing their idiiotic selves underneath the cab's tires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home